March 27, 2015

Complacency

noun 

a feeling of smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one's achievements.

I have noticed something in my life over the years. I have noticed that when things are going well, I seem to slack. I get comfortable. I think that the momentum will continue. That the ball will keep rolling. That I don't have to continue pressing in and pressing on.

I get complacent.

I get satisfied with where I am and think that I don't have to put in any more work because I'm in the best place of my life. I can rest. I can stop putting in time because I'm where I need to be. 

I don't ever want to quit. I don't ever want to just remain satisfied with my situation.

Especially in my relationship with Christ.

I don't want to be the person that remains satisfied in my growth with God. 

I believe that I am full of God, but I also know that I need to constantly be filled with God. I am a vessel for God, but I leak. I need to constantly be poured into by God.

Have you ever eaten something that was so amazing that it didn't matter how hungry you were, you wanted to eat more of it simply because of how delicious it was? That's how I am with some Indian food. It's just so delicious, satisfying, nourishing, and amazing that I will always find room in my belly for more of it.

I want my relationship with God to be like that. I want to constantly long for more of God. 

So, God, make complacency my enemy. I want to serve you. I want to know you. I don't want to ever be satisfied. I want a righteous hunger and thirst for your presence. 

I am so in need of you. I admit that I lean towards complacency. I get comfortable in my situations and that I sometimes forget that my entire existence depends upon your grace and love. Jesus, you are the living water. I must always turn to you to satisfy me. Holy Spirit, you are the breath in my lungs. You are a holy wind. You fan the flame in my heart, and you yourself are the flame. You light the fire, and you keep the fire going. 

God, I am so empty without you. If I rely on myself, on my capabilities, and on my strength, I will become complacent. I will get stuck. I will stagnate. 

But I need your holy spark in my life to burst my life into the one that you have created for me. You have a plan for me. You have a destiny for me. You have created me for more than complacency.


No comments:

Post a Comment